Re: [OM] Look here Brian...

Subject: Re: [OM] Look here Brian...
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 01:14:19 +1300

Moose wrote

On 9/26/2016 4:10 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
No, I don't
accept that. Pixel pitch of the E-M5 and 6D are about the same. Also
remember that Ken said the image
was heavily cropped. As Moose has
said, you can't shoot the E-M5 at f/22 and then be surprised that
there's not much
detail or sharpness to the image.

In fact, since the
6D has about the same pixel pitch you can't shoot it at f/22 and expect
razor sharp results either.

Weeelll, correct, but easy to
misunderstand. The 6D is FF, so for the same display size, magnification
is less and one
may stop down further for the same visually apparent
loss to diffraction. I'm sure you can run your calculator on it, if
you
wish. My experience says 1.5 to 2 stops.

Ken was shooting at
f/4-f/5.6. Brian should probably stay at f/9 or less for sharp images.

Yup, although without deconvolution "sharpening", f5.6 is safer for
maximum resolution.

When I shot the Sigma 90 macro images at f/16 and f/22

I did so in order to obtain the maximum DOF. Which I did. What's more
that was achieved in the 1200 pixel image easily, with fine detail
showing from the fine hairs on the ovary to the tips of most of the
stamens.

Any loss of that goal due to diffraction effects is
negligible. At one end or other of the flower the image would be quite
out of focus which in my opinion would be much worse than what
diffraction effects might do, by several orders of magnitude.

I've
just spent the last 2 hours (it's now 1.11 am) watching a video of the
Clinton/trump 'debate', I've had a long day touring around distant
countrysides with my daughter, so discussion of other matters will have
to wait.

Brian