Re: [OM] Help/Advice needed.

Subject: Re: [OM] Help/Advice needed.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 11:22:14 -0700
On 9/23/2016 10:01 AM, JOHN DUGGAN wrote:
Hi , is my Olympus E-M5ll terminal ?     shooting photographs this afternoon i
opened the articulated screen to take a difficult shot. screen went blank.
Viewfinder still works but screen shows  blank.  Have I inadvertently pressed a
button or combination of buttons to cause this?

Possibly, "With this camera, you can select between two shooting methods:
Shooting using the
viewfinder and shooting using live view with the monitor. Press the [Fn3]
button to switch
between shooting methods"

I don't think this will turn the screen off, but I have my cameras set so Fn3 is Magnify. It's possible if you have Advanced Menu J "EVF Auto Switch" set to off, and press Fn3, that only the EVF or screen will be on, not both, and no auto switching. Most cameras have a way to do that, so they don't light up at inopportune moments.

I have had a similar, but not quite as severe problem with the camera switching from screen to EVF even with nothing close to the back. That turned out to be dust/dirt in front of the eye sensor. When that happens, I remove the eyecup, clean out the debris in the lower right corner and all is right again. It's possible that you have something blocking the eye sensor.

second issue ...if camera is left for a few minutes it "goes to sleep" but will
not wake up!!! Only soluyion is to turn camera off and then back on.

There is a setting that will turn intentionally turn the camera completely off.
In Advanced Menu D:

Sleep
    - The camera will enter sleep (energy saving) mode if no
operations are performed for the selected period. The
camera can be reactivated by pressing the shutter button
halfway.
—
Auto Power Off
    - When in sleep mode, the camera will automatically turn off
after the set time has elapsed.

So if you have short 'Sleep' and/or 'Auto Power Off' settings, it will indeed turn itself completely off, and the power switch must be cycled to turn it back on.

I have Sleep set to 3 min. and 'Auto Power Off' set to an hour. So the displays go off fairly quickly, but the whole thing doesn't turn off unless I really just forget to turn it off when not using it.

If all else fails, there is the option to reset everything in the Spanner Menu. I hate that, as I have a lot of things set differently than the defaults.

Camera is a Titanium finish E5ll bought via the Internet (Very grey import) six
months ago so I would think warranty is void.!!!!

Good Luck!!

Menu Functions Moose