Re: [OM] Does a BMW run at 60fps full resolution raw?

Subject: Re: [OM] Does a BMW run at 60fps full resolution raw?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 12:07:10 -0700
On 9/20/2016 5:43 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
      When they come up with a 32MP sensor I'll get interested.  For now
they're just adding more icing on the cake.  YAWN!

You may misunderstand the optical problems that would present. In order to take full advantage of the 36 MP of the sensor in the FF Nikon 810, they dropped any AA filter. The result is a camera with excellent resolution for most subjects and terrible moire problems, blurred details and false color, in fine, repeating patterns. Until someone comes up with a different solution, sensors over maybe 30 MP (?) on FF present a no-win design problem.

Take a look at the D750, 24 MP, AA filter, vs. the D810, 36 MP, no AA filter, here. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/X-T1_E-M1_D750/FON.htm>

32 MP on the smaller 4/3 sensor would be even worse.

Oly's current solution is to use low enough rez sensors to get away without moire with no AA filter, then use sub pixel movements of the sensor to make very high rez composite images with no moire at all and better color accuracy.

Take a look here, especially at the yellow fabric sample and beer label. <http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/olympus-e-m5-ii/olympus-e-m5-iiTECH2.HTM#HRRAW>
With some subjects, the 810 is slightly better than the HR Mode Oly; with some
others, the Oly whups the Nikon.

With the E-M1 II, they have wisely stayed away from the 24 MP many were hoping for. I hope it turns out that moire with the 20 MP sensor is at worst only minor.

They have also sped up the HR composite process of taking eight exposures and merging them. Short of claiming the 1/60 second anticipated, they are cagier:

" The new TruePic VIII Image Processor will effectively suppress blur due to subject movement, making it possible to utilize High Res Shot Mode in a wide variety of shooting conditions, such as gently-blowing grass, tree leaves, or ocean waves."

Hard to say what that all means until tests come out.

BUT, I submit that simply upping the pixel count is not always the best solution. Except as a marketing ploy, 32 MP on 4/3 is a non-starter with current tech. Anyone wanting straight resolution that high should be looking at at least FF, and likely MF.

It's also unclear to me how someone like you or me would get an practical advantage from such resolution. How does one display it?

Moose D'Tech Opinion