Re: [OM] OT: Dubai 777 Crash

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Dubai 777 Crash
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 09:47:05 +0100
There was some early discussion here, but the preliminary report is out,
http://tinyurl.com/z9ry8eu allowing us to see how this came about.

By my reading, the critical information is on page 8 at 1.1, which I
summarised, but you should start to read at 0837:35:

At 0837:07, 159 knots IAS, 35 feet RA, the PF started to flare the Aircraft.
The autothrottle mode transitioned to IDLE and both thrust levers were
moving towards the idle position.
At 0837:17 the weight-on-wheels sensors indicated that the right main
landing gear touched down.
At 0837:19, the Aircraft runway awareness advisory system (RAAS) aural
message “LONG LANDING, LONG LANDING” was annunciated.
At 0837:20 the weight-on-wheels sensors indicated that the left main landing
gear touched down. The nose landing gear remained in the air.
At 0837:23, the Aircraft became airborne in an attempt to go-around and was
subjected to a headwind component until impact.
At 0837:27, the flap lever was moved to the 20 position.
At 0837:28, the air traffic control tower issued a clearance to continue
straight ahead and climb to 4,000 feet. The clearance was read back
correctly.
At 0837:29 the landing gear lever was selected to the UP position.
Subsequently, the landing gear unlocked and began to retract.
The Aircraft reached a maximum height of approximately 85 feet RA at 134
knots IAS, with the landing gear in transit to the retracted position. The
Aircraft then began to sink back onto the runway.
At 0837:35 both thrust levers were moved from the idle position to full
forward. The autothrottle transitioned from IDLE to THRUST mode.
At 0837:37 both engines started to respond to the thrust lever movement.
At 0837:38, the Aircraft aft fuselage impacted the runway abeam the November
7 intersection at 125 knots, with a nose-up pitch angle of 9.5 degrees, and
at a rate of descent of 900 feet per minute.

Nothing wrong with what was done, just in a sub-optimal sequence?

Piers