Re: [OM] Pepsi Warehouse in Fort Wayne

Subject: Re: [OM] Pepsi Warehouse in Fort Wayne
From: Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 16:34:18 -0400
According to everything I've ever learned about including logos or brands
in photographs, it is not a problem except for commercial use - and that
doesn't mean making money from the photograph, it only refers to using the
photograph as advertising, promotion, or marketing of a service, product,
company or cause.  Something similar has come up recently when Smithsonian
demanded that Alamy remove all photographs taken in the Smithsonian museums
from their stock sales site.  The Smithsonian says on their tickets that
photographs cannot be used for commercial use, but their definition of
commercial and that of the stock photography companies is totally
different.  The Smithsonian commercial means making any money at all from
the use of the photographs.  Stock photographer "commercial" means use in
advertising as opposed to editorial use.  They are fighting that out right
now.  It seems that Smithsonian has a agreement with Getty that only Getty
will have the right to lease photos from the Smithsonian.  Photographers
with photographs of the Smithsonian taken from public ground are arguing
that the Smithsonian has no right to restrict the use of their photos.

I know Chris' photos are not stock but I would think similar rules would
apply regarding commercial and editorial use.

These are interesting times.

Tina

On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 2:14 AM, Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Chris, just curious about something. All the images you posted are
> available for sale as prints (and indeed many would make fine prints!).
> Have you ever had problems due to the presence of logos or other branding
> in your photos? Since you are selling the photos, you are making commercial
> use of, in this case, the Pepsi logo. Or are you sufficiently low-volume to
> be under the radar of Pepsi’s lawyers?
>
> Cheers,
> Nathan
>
> Nathan Wajsman
> Alicante, Spain
> http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>
> YNWA

> > On 17 Sep 2016, at 22:54, Christopher Crawford <
> chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > This is the main entrance to the huge Pepsi warehouse complex on Harrison
> > Street, north of Downtown, in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Most of the buildings
> > there are plain, unadorned industrial buildings, but this one's limestone
> > and glass brick facade adds a little beauty to the entrance.
> >
> > http://chriscrawfordphoto.com/chris-details.php?product=2482
> >
> > --
> > Chris Crawford
> > Fine Art Photography