Re: [OM] For the Concorde Enthusiasts on the List

Subject: Re: [OM] For the Concorde Enthusiasts on the List
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2016 11:40:11 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     The F-111A was a disaster.  First, the crew did not eject individually but
instead the entire cockpit ejected as a capsule.  By design, anyway.  Many of
them got stuck during separation and the entire crew died.

     The biggest problem though was the yoke that the wings attached to.
General Dynamics designed it as a single piece drop forging, but the
subcontractor decided to make it as two pieces welded together.  The result was
that some of them split apart during flight and the plane crashed.

>Having flown the Tornado GR1/4 for a number of years I am now fully committed
>to the idea that variable geometry was useful only before they had decent
>fly-by-wire platforms.  It is now a waste of weight, space and money.  Indeed,
>I have long advocated that they fix the Tornado’s wings at 45 degrees, allow
>the flaps and slats to operate fully at that sweep angle and remove the hinges
>and extra power gizmos, thus saving weight.  Any other wing sweep angle is
>superfluous, although the 63/67 sweep looks good for flypasts; it feels
>rubbish to fly the aircraft in that configuration.
>
>Concorde might have been the first effective wing form which did not need
>variable geometry.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson