Re: [OM] odd computer behavior

Subject: Re: [OM] odd computer behavior
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 11:10:50 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
    svchost.exe is a legitimate background application that runs a wide range
of functions, including illegitimate ones.  I was able to uncover most of what
it was processing by using WinPatrol (https://www.winpatrol.com/), which
provides controls for removing the offending application(s).  I have that on
all my machines now.

>I'm seeing a process running on my computer. svchost.exe (netsvcs) It's
>eating up 25% of CPU cycles and a fair amount of RAM. I just terminate
>it after boot with no apparent ill effect. It appears to be a legit MS
>service but WTF is it doing? I wonder if it is related to MS Update
>trying to download the W10 stuff? The W10 update has prevented me from
>doing any other windows updates except for the anti virus stuff.
>
>Looks like I may have to call MS tech support to sort this out. However
>the last time I did the tech really screwed things up. Never again will
>I allow the a tech to use the remote desktop.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson