Re: [OM] Alt dot Moose branches out [was The Apocalypse Continues]

Subject: Re: [OM] Alt dot Moose branches out [was The Apocalypse Continues]
From: Don Holbrook <donholbrook@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 15:55:29 +0000 (UTC)
Dreamy.  Will have to try that.

----- Original Message -----From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>To: Olympus Camera
Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Sent: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 19:49:54 -0000
(UTC)Subject: [OM] Alt dot Moose branches out [was The Apocalypse Continues]

First, an image. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=20641>

On 8/26/2016 6:32 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:> Gotta be the Sony a7 II or a7R II.
Which one?

No twos, but you got very warm.

In my own way, I'm bass-akwards again. Or, to continue the fishy metaphors,
swimming upstream, against the current, to spawn something new.

> What do you plan to do about lenses beyond the OMs (if anything)?

As above, I have no current plans to use OM lenses.* I tried that with my first
DSLR, and didn't much like it. For 'conventional' photography, whatever that
may be, I'm still firmly in the &micro;4/3 camp with native AF lenses.

My representational photography continues, with HR and focus stacking making it
ever more exciting to me, and, perhaps, more "accurate" :-)

But I've been somewhat frustrated in my parallel interest in what I've called
Alt.Moose, which also interests and excites me, finding aspects of subjects
that aren't directly representational, sometimes not even recognizable, but
that engage me emotionally.

While some Alt stuff works well on the smaller sensor, other tools and
techniques cry out for a larger sensor. I'd love to go larger than FF, but
don't want to go to MF film, as live view and instant feedback is part of the
process for me. And MF digital is just too expensive.

So, to explore FF, I picked up an original A7 used, and a couple of MF lens
adapters. For work with lenses with waterhouse stops, pinholes and such, the
IBIS and faster AF of the A7 II are superfluous and the considerable additional
size and weight (and cost) are negatives. I tried the 5D, but this stuff
doesn't work for me through an optical VF without LV. I'm deeply spoiled with
composing and chimping on big, high resolution screens.

I already have several lenses and lens-like image making devices at hand to
play with:---------------As above, my ancient-ish SIMA soft focus 100/2 does
interesting things, and is really too long for a 4/3 sensor.

I've another ancient-ish lens, a pre Adaptall I Tamron 28/2.8, from before
computer aided design, with some pretty serious aberrations at f2.8 -f4.

Pinholes, zone plate, LensBaby SF lens with 'colander' diffusion plates.

A used LensBaby Velvet 56 is on it's way, creeping across the country in trucks.

I even have a lens taken apart, so it's a diaphragm only, to see what diffusion
alone at hole sizes greater than the 'correct' pinhole sizes do. I stumbled
across this by accident one day. I was drilling, then reaming, a hole in a body
cap to hold a pinhole assembly, when I accidentally took a shot. I'm not sure
what size the hole was, but much larger than a pinhole - and it made an image
with shape and color!
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=3327>---------------One of the
glories of the digital age and editing is the ability to go beyond what a lens
alone can do. Whether anyone else likes the above image, I do. :-) It combines
three exposures with a SIMA SF 100/2 lens. F2 has a wonderful glow/softness for
the background, but too much for the main subject. So I've used circular
gradient masks on an f4 exposure, to remove most of that glow, while remaining
generally very soft, and on an f5.6 exposure, to add just a soup&ccedil;on of
clearer focus at the focal point of the
 flower head.

It seems kind of a shame to have all these functions on the camera that I may
never use. But I couldn't find a (cheap) 12 MP, Live View, mirrorless camera
strictly for MF lenses. ;-)

Seems like a nice camera, BTW, and not gargantuan next to the E-M5 II, as the
5D is.

Alternative Moose

* OK, maybe the 80/4 Auto and bellows for slide copying, and other such things.

-- What if the Hokey Pokey *IS* what it's all about?--