Re: [OM] Macro gear

Subject: Re: [OM] Macro gear
From: Dean Hansen <hanse112@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 08:09:26 -0500
Wayne H. posted:
"I came across this (totally by accident):

http://extreme-macro.co.uk/raynox-adapter-techniques/

Has anyone here had any experience with these Raynox adapters ?"

      Well, not me, at least.
      My preference is to use a lens designed to do macro if one wants to
do macro.  Which is why I went with the OM system back in the '80s.  The OM
38/2.8 macro lens is an entomologist's prayer answered.  Wanna get closer?
Then the in-a-class-all-by-itself OM 20/2 is what you grab.  Even closer,
and it's an Elgeet 7/2.5 regular 8mm movie camera lens from the '50s,
reversed.  That trick is macro to the max, and on the cheap.  Like $15
cheap.  John Shaw's "Closeups in Nature", p 126-127, planted that bug in my
ear.
     Gotta try focus stacking with that Elgeet sometime.
     Prices for the 38/2.8 have softened some in the last few years.  I've
seen them on ebay for $350-ish lately.  Hellava deal, if you ask me.  If
there ever were a lens designed specifically to do macro, and do it well,
this is it, hands down.
Dean