Re: [OM] Macro gear

Subject: Re: [OM] Macro gear
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 02:11:42 -0700
On 8/24/2016 4:03 PM, Wayne Harridge wrote:
I came across this (totally by accident):

http://extreme-macro.co.uk/raynox-adapter-techniques/

Has anyone here had any experience with these Raynox adapters ?

Back when Lensmate mostly made stuff for attaching adapters to high end compacts, they had a lot of comparisons of adapters. They also sold (still do) Raynox C-U lenses. My impression back then was that the Raynox adapters were good, but didn't stand out as superior to other good ones.

Their big plus is the flexible mounting that lets them fit a lot of filter ring sizes without separate adapters. The down side is that it's either 43 mm, 52-67 mm or get other adapters. So, if it fits your intended use, it's easy.

Oly has made several achromatic C-U lenses (and I have them all. ;-)  )

Oly's most recent achromatic C-U lens is the MCON-P02. It's about the same power as the Raynox DCR-150. For someone with a lot of 37 & 46 mm filter threads, the standard sizes for many µ4/3 lenses, it's an elegant, effective piece of design. It has front and rear caps. The rear cap may be pulled off, to reveal 37 mm threads, or unscrewed, to retain the 46=>37 mm adapter. The front and rear caps then fit together, with or without the adapter between them.

As a person who's always disappointed with the close focus of normal lenses, I used to carry a 10 mm extension tube with my smaller cameras. Now I carry the MCON-P02 in the little camera pouch, and have been pleased with the results.

I was going to write about limited DoF, limited focal range and lighting, but the link Dharma posted, and the samples linked to there, tell the tale.

If you do try a Raynox, I'd start with the DCR-150.

Magnified Moose