Re: [OM] F280 question

Subject: Re: [OM] F280 question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 15:04:51 -0700
Thanks for your observations, Chuck.  Quite odd the  F280 output would vary
with different cams.

The faster sync speed of the 77AF means a faster moving curtain with wider slit at any given speed. The flash compensates with shorter flash durations, and, presumably, higher output pulses. But this is all analog stuff, with the variations affected by the electronics that control the power to the flash element and how it responds to different amounts and durations of input. That there would be some variation in results whit different combinations doesn't seem surprising to me.

A regular flash used at max sync speed still has a ton more oomph for fill it
seems.

And there resides the actual important point. The F280 has always been under powered for FP flash use. Nothing can change that. I remember my shock/disappointment when I read the manual for the first time.

It's an indoor, moderate to low ambient light flash. I can't see where it has anything to offer for your desire for daylight fill for flutterbys.

One needs a regular fill flash - or - enough light from ambient and/or main flash to shoot at base ISO, and fill in post by pulling up shadows. I do this all the time with my 'bug' shots. Nobody ever seems to mind that the black fly/bee/?? or the dark parts of a flutterby have good shadow detail, despite being shot in bright, direct sunlight against a bright flower. :-)

Dr. No Flash