Re: [OM] IMGs: A Very Unusual Bicycle

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGs: A Very Unusual Bicycle
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 19:56:49 -0400
In for adjustments was it?

Chuck Norcutt

On 8/2/2016 9:21 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
     Every so often we have a bicycle show up in our shop that stands out for
one reason or another.  On Sunday a fellow showed up with an almost pristine
64cm 1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile, the only blemish being the rear wheel, which
was not original.  He had picked it up for $160 in a non-profit shop in Tucson.
 I was deep green with envy.

     But yesterday a bike arrived that towered above anything else I have seen
in terms of uniqueness: A CSA Autobike.  This ingenious contraption has an
automatic rear wheel shifter that operates by way of three weights that slide
along the spokes, which operate a trio of clevises, which operate a trio of
pistons, and which then push a shifting ring outwards against the chain as the
wheel goes faster, shifting the chain to a smaller sprocket.  A conventional
rear derailleur provides chain tensioning and jockying for down-shifting.  The
crankset is also a freewheel so that the chain can move while coasting so as to
allow the wheel mechanism to shift down as speed decreases.  Here are some
photos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/28642433541/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/28720219755/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/28720219715/in/dateposted-public/