Re: [OM] C-U lens stuff [was The Flies Have It]

Subject: Re: [OM] C-U lens stuff [was The Flies Have It]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 21:20:39 -0700
Optimal Moose writes:

<<Weeelll, maybe. It was designed and sold for Pentax 67 lenses. FOV of 200 mm on 6x7
is about eq. to 95-100 mm on FF. I supposed that FOV/film coverage of the prime lens would
make a difference in the design of a two <<element C-U lens. That, and the era in
which it was made, made me think it might act more like a C-U lens designed for a FF lens
of 100 mm or so.

Hmmm, had thought the original conjecture was the FL of the prime lens was
more important to the CU diopter  performance than any FOV/sensor format
considerations.

And so it may be, but the more I find out about actual performance, the less I am sure. Canon 500D is supposedly for 70-300 mm primary lenses, the Nikon 5T for 70-210*, but the 5T handily outperforms the 500D with my particular zoom @ 400 mm.

This article from EOS Magazine covers use up to the Canon 100-400. And it may well be correct, in that decent, even impressive seeming, results are possible. But when compared directly to the 5T, the 500D falls well short. I'm now convinced the only way to know is to test - with the lens with which it's to be used. I hate testing, but . . .

Test It Moose

* Another case, as with the Minoltas, where the on-line list(s) disagree with the actual instruction sheets that came with the lenses.