Re: [OM] Meandering with OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Meandering with OM
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 14:21:27 -0500
On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 10:52 PM, Bob Benson <bob.benson91@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> (This is on topic -- using both OM film and digital equipment ...)
>
> I believe it was Edward Weston that said “Anything more *than* 500 yards
> from the car just isn't photogenic”  It may be much closer, perhaps just 50
> feet. But – I’ve just spent seven days meandering from Seattle to Wichita
> by car, and during this time have have found four roads of surpassing
> beauty and photogenic quality that fit into the 50-feet concept.  Wonderful
> picture opportunities.  Two roads are old favorites, and two are new
> discoveries.  These are, I think, greatly underappreciated by travelers.
>
> 1.      *OR and NV state route 140, from Denio NV to Lakeview OR.*
> Actually 140 begins just north of Winnemucca NV.  Wonderful wide open
> spaces – I mean really wide open spaces.  Note of caution:  no gas for 200
> miles.  Actually no anything for 200 miles except for 1 almost deserted
> outpost at Denio.  The road itself is first rate.  I’ve never seen more
> dramatic and interesting and beautiful wide open spaces, to the extent I
> drove it twice this time in my meandering.
>
> 2.      *Interstate 70, 30 miles west of Green River UT to east of Salina
> UT.*  What, an interstate you say?  It’s simply amazing – especially if one
> takes advantage of every scenic overview, and more particularly, if one
> takes each of the exits (three, I think) for a few miles.  This interstate
> goes through the San Rafael Swell,  a grand-canyon-like area – but you get
> the feeling of driving directly through the canyons.  Just amazing vistas
> and – on the side roads – wonderful engagement in several dramatic
> canyons.   One could spend a half-day here, easily, taking in the vistas.
> But one can also see this in a couple of hours even with the side-roads.
>
> 3.      *UT route 128 from Moab UT to interstate 70 at Cisco.*  34 miles of
> driving alongside the Colorado River through its deep and colorful and
> dramatic canyon – huge photo opportunities – not to mention vistas of the
> La Salle mountains looming over the canyons.  There are of course a lot of
> other wonderful areas around Moab – the White Rim Trail for example.  But
> for an easy drive, this can’t be surpassed.
>
> 4.      *US 395 from Spokane to John Day OR.*  Covers two terrific areas:
> a)  the Palouse wheat-growing areas – stunning vistas of high rolling hills
> and nothing else;  b)  the mountains of Grant County.

If 2 and 3, with which I can concur, are among your standards, I will add 1
and 4 happily to my bucket list.  Some time or another, I'd like to travel
through Utah on my motorcycle, but such trips have to be planned extremely
carefully because my range is about 200 miles -- and only if I run the tank
flat empty!

Joel W.