Re: [OM] IMG: Another Way to Snap a Butterfly

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Another Way to Snap a Butterfly
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 22:54:33 +1200

Jim wrote,

After seeing Moose's recent fly captures, I became
interested in trying
an extension tube, though I don't have any of the
modifying optics he
has been using. My only extension tubes are M42, so
I attached the
9.5mm tube to my Takumar 135/3.5 lens. The usable
focusing range seemed
to be approximately 2 - 5 feet, not bad for
butterflies. To get a few
more MP, I used my Oly E-510. This gave me
the equivalent of a 270/3.5
lens.

This female Spicebush Swallowtail
flew up and rested for about five
minutes on the greenery on my fence.
This was the only view and
lighting that I had available. I tried
focusing at several stops, and
it was not too difficult. I suspect this
was taken at
f/8.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Spicebush+Swallowtail+Female.tif.html
[1]

Jim
Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

Jim, that one is really spot on, to my eyes.
It is by far the best of any you've posted during the last 2 - 3 weeks.

Many of your recent shots seemed to my eyes to have some kind of tiny
artifact all over (that I could not characterise), but this one has none
of that.

Great pose, great lighting, excellent detail.

Cheers,
Brian.

Links:
------