[OM] The Flies Have It

Subject: [OM] The Flies Have It
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 20:46:26 -0700
After getting a pretty nice image of a green bottle fly rather casually with moderate gear, I got curious about what other ones I hadn't been paying attention to. The next day was not conducive to sitting out, waiting for them to come to me, but I ventured out with TG-4 and teleconverter, 170 mm eq., to see what was out and about and try its focus stacking.

I did get what I consider a pleasing composition of a fly on a fern. And the stacking worked a treat for the fly and foliage, giving much better DoF on the frond than any single shot, while the background is nicely soft. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=20401>

OTOH, I couldn't get close enough to this small fly to get a good close-up, and going 100% with the tiny sensor, mistakenly set at ISO 400, had little detail. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=20405>

A few days later, I toted the E-M5 II, PLeica 100-400 and Nikon 5T C-U lens out with me as I sat in the sun. I fairly easily got a better green bottle shot than before. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=20427>

I tried some stacking, but the flies were quite active, so all the series did was nail focus/DoF one or two single shots, as the above one.

The next day out, I found some of the smaller flies I had seen and shot with the TG-4. I discovered that they are hoverers, as easily noticed from their shadows as directly, and hard to get the AF to find. I did get "closer" with the longer lens. Closer to 1/4" than 3/8" in length, with similar wingspan, they are much smaller in bulk than the green bottles.

This is a full frame of a shot of one.
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=20409>

A crop of the same shot. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=20411>

And a head on shot at greater distance. Not as good detail and DoF, but I love the pose, and the way its perch is isolated. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=20413>

A couple of days later, a small fly found the skin of my knee fascinating, so I took it's picture. It was in constant, rapid motion, and DoF is tiny at that distance/magnification, but I did get shots that should ID him, should I want to. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=20415>

I did manage to get two shots without too much movement between them, giving a strange image of a creature in focus at back and head, but
fading into softness in the far middle. :-)
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=20417>
Then a green bottle sat still on a sprinkler head long enough for a focus stack. Terrific job on the foreground, but I need different settings to get deep enough for the far wing. Still, rather nice. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=20419>

Then, there's this thing. Big, hovers like a hummingbird/clearwing moth, the body hair is like some of them, but the head, 'eyebrows' and mouth parts are wrong. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=20421>

It did pose for a peekaboo shot.
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=20423>

Then flew right up and sat still briefly on a flower right in front of me. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=20425>

The combination of PLeica @ 400 mm and 5T really is da bomb for live shootin'