Re: [OM] vacation time with lots of camera space

Subject: Re: [OM] vacation time with lots of camera space
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 08:14:39 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     This has sent me on a nostalgia trip.  In addition to the contracted
French Chausson buses, we we also transported by a large fleet of God-awful US
Army Fageol buses:

http://brucerichards.com/army/fageol%20bus.jpg

These were designed with discomfort being a primary design goal.  When I moved
out here back in 1979 I got to see a Fageol moving van that was essentially the
bus without the windows and seats.  Here's a photo of an earlier version:

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/charles_dodd/fageol_01.jpg

>     How interesting.  When I was living in Orleans, I went to school riding a
> Chausson bus.  The gear shift lever stuck out of the dashboard rather than
> the floor.  It had a diesel engine and a manual transmission.  When the
> driver threw in the clutch it sounded like a lot of heavy chains rattling
> beneath the floor and the whole bus shook terribly.  The short wheelbase
> allowed it to easily negotiate sharp turns in cities and mountain roads.  I
> have not been able to find much information about those buses even though
> they were a mainstay for public transportation back then.  Here's a photo of
> one:
>
>http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8155/7443509154_e5fa9fd3af_z.jpg
>
>The one I rode had a red banner under the windows.  Here's a photo of the
>Dinky Toy model:
>
>http://www.dinky-northeast.com/photos/Buses/29F%28F%29%201956-60.jpg
>
>I still have my Norev model, painted up as the one I rode for three years.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson