Re: [OM] IMG: The American Airlines Flagship Detroit

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: The American Airlines Flagship Detroit
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 21:19:16 -0400
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Chuck writes:
For homework please explain (in lurid detail) why the strong force has a
limited range of just 1 femtometer. Has Trump built a wall around it?
Regardless, it is clear that Othello is outside its range and he will not be
contained either. What is your backup plan? Does it involve longer range forces
such as those mysterious ones in the 2-3 femtometer range?

As forces of nature go, the OP force is uncontainable and there is no back-up
plan.  We submit to the force and all is well--Moose can confirm.

I am by no means any sort of expert in QCD though studied quantum mechanics in
school.  In general the  range of a force is determined by the  mediating
"exchange particle"  which in turn is limited by the Heisenberg Uncertainty
Principle.  Bigger particles essentially have to get back before they are
missed--gross simplification, probably.  Gluons  in the standard model mediate
the strong force in quark- quark interactions have color charge and aren't
really very big and it gets very complex.-  they participate in the strong
interaction and among themselves as well as mediating  the force. The math  was
nearly inscrutable even when my math was decent which it no longer is.   Will
have to defer to the list QCD  fan.

Submit to the OP force or else, Mike