Re: [OM] IMGS: Farm Stay, Breakfast

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: Farm Stay, Breakfast
From: Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 17:38:43 -0400
Well, we have every modern kitchen convenience out here on the farm but we
still like to cook over a fire in the backyard ;-)

The whole story is that 2 of the farm owners kids graduated from the
University of Tehran with degrees in tourism.  Their dream is to turn the
farm into a caravanserai where travelers can stay out in the country
between Yazd and Shiraz.  They think part of that experience should be
sleeping on the floor and cooking outside using wood and charcoal.  The
tandoori oven is actually used by the family to bake all of their bread but
they also have a modern kitchen - where they cook on a gas grill on the
floor!  I can sympathize with that.  I'd much rather cook over a gas grill
than an electric one but by far the best is a wood-fired grill!

Thanks for looking,

Tina

On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 12:59 PM, <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Tina informed us;
>
>  PESO:
>
> We stayed with a farm family in
> Faragheh, between Yazd and Shiraz. We
> slept on the floor, sat on the
> floor, ate on the floor but it was a very
> nice interlude without hotels
> and restaurant meals. They cooked breakfast
> outside on various very
> small fires and a tandoori oven. It was absolutely
> delicious, everything
> fresh from the farm. We kept telling ourselves that
> we were taking a
> vacation from our farm to stay on a farm, but that's what
> we love. The
> family could not have been
> nicer.
>

> http://tinamanley.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Iran/G0000YmlbTddL96g/I00006cDwmdNjr2w
> [1]
>
> And go backwards through lots and lots of bread-making photos :-)
> I love
> bread-making - involves food, people, activity, beginning,
> ending, eating!
>
> Tina

> Wonderful shots
> Tina.
> Your tour guide sure did you two proud with his insightful
> finding of extra-ordinary places for you to experience,
> as well as
> giving you amazing opportunity to take shots which should sell well.
>
> One aspect of this series (today only) puzzles me; and that is cooking
> outside the house on very primitive equipment, portrayed as being their
> normal way of cooking breakfast.
> Some of the cooking was being done
> right outside in the farm fields.
> I could not quite believe what I was
> seeing so I looked for evidence to support my disbelief.
> They certainly
> seem to be used to doing this, BUT for a routine activity there was very
> little evidence in the form of piles of ashes etc to indicate habitual
> use of that site for that activity.
> So I also looked closely at the
> other photos for evidence of more 'civilised' cooking apparatus.
> In
> some photos, camping-type gas/kerosine stoves were visible, and in one
> shot one can see the lower half of what could be either a 'normal' gas
> or electric stove with round knobs used for control
>

> http://tinamanley.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Iran/G0000YmlbTddL96g/I0000VEdSENaFOwI
>

> and the interior of a kitchen as I would expect it.
>

> http://tinamanley.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Iran/G0000YmlbTddL96g/I000033MRm_TNbvQ
>

> Or maybe they were just (understandably) shy / reluctant to let these
> foreigner strangers see into the very core of their habitual domestic
> life.
>
> Just wondering.
>
> Brian
>

> Links:

> [...]