Re: [OM] IMGS: Night Scenes

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: Night Scenes
From: Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 19:55:42 -0400
Hi, John -

No, I take the photos first and ask permission later.  If you ask first,
you get posed photos which is not what I want.  In the entire month in Iran
I had one person say I couldn't take his photo - a grumpy old man in a shop
in the bazaar in Isfahan.  Everybody else was very excited and happy that I
wanted to take their photo.  They usually pulled out their cell phones and
took photos of me and then wanted photos with me.  I think it's probably
their love for Americans and partly because I'm an old grandma and not very
threatening.

I ran into the same thing in Vietnam and in Cuba.  I think the less tourism
they have, the more people are willing to be photographed.  Those who have
cameras stuck in their faces all the time might be more resistant.

Tina

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 7:48 PM, John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What I am interested in knowing is how the people responded to being
> photographed by a strange American, or by someone who was obviously not a
> local. Was permission asked for every shot?
>
> Back in the early 1970s my wife and I drove all over the very very rural
> New Territories in Hong Kong taking photos. She drove and I sat above the
> back seat in our drop head MGA two seater taking photos with 90mm and 135mm
> lenses on an M3. On several occasions clods of earth and small tools were
> launched in our direction; there were no direct hits. That was an area and
> an era where ladies in the fields might be delivered of their first born at
> sunrise and be out working in the fields at sunset.
>
> Taking photos of people in close quarters, within their personal space, is
> not a skill acquired lightly.
>
> Your photos intrigue me in terms of you being able to engage people at
> close quarters
>
> jh
>

> On 5/17/2016 7:58 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
>
>> PESO:
>>
>> Some night scenes with the Monochrom and the 50/1.4:
>>

>> http://tinamanley.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Iran/G0000YmlbTddL96g/I0000Hl3OT9Di8aU
>>
>> and the next 6.
>>
>> And I'm finished with April 10th!
>>
>> Tina