Re: [OM] IMGs: Storm Damage

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGs: Storm Damage
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 12:42:33 -0700
On 5/6/2016 10:39 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
      Sadly, this is how most people learn the hard truth about "licensed"
contractors.

I don't know if it has to do with Calif. licensing, luck, Karma . . .

When I had my roof replaced around 23 years ago, the experience of signing a contract was like being in a car dealer closing booth. Turns out there was some definite "wiggle room" in the price, when it came down to how large a check I was willing to write. Of course, I got quotes from more than one roofer, so knew the territory we were 'rasslin' in.

But the work was highly professional. After the gorillas did the tear off (two old layers), one guy did almost everything else. He was steady, careful and through. Also, friendly and helpful. When he saw the "venting" into the crawl space of the bathroom exhaust fans I had installed, he offered to attach them to proper vents through the new roof. No charge! :-)

The fact that I was helpful and friendly to him may have helped. ;-) I did keep track of the work. When he started to skip one aspect I thought should be part of the job, I asked about it pleasantly. His answer made it clear he agreed with me, although he wouldn't/couldn't say so directly. So I went to the company with my complaint, fought it out there, and won, based on the contract language. They changed his orders, the work was completed properly, and he got paid for more hours.

I will never understand folks I've known who set up an adversarial relationship with people working on their house, car, body, etc.

I talked to 2-3 other roofers, and had the sense that all would have done a proper job. They just didn't have the right product. Although the metal, shake looking roof is now at the point where most asphalt shingle roofs would have failed or be ready to do so, it appears as sound as when new.

No Drips Moose