Re: [OM] IMGS: Martyrs

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: Martyrs
From: Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 14:00:16 -0400
Hi, John -

Yes, we could wander anywhere we wanted and did.  I did wear a head scarf
any time I was in public but our guide encouraged me to take it off when we
were in the car.  We did opine on political issues many, many times.  We
met with Imams and Mullahs and just regular people in mosques and on the
streets and debated with them about Iranian and USA politics.  Everybody
was eager to learn what we thought and to tell us their opinion of USA
politics.  Everybody was very familiar with our politics and had an opinion
of Donald Trump - they referred to him as our Ahmadinejad!  I thought that
was really funny!  One of the Mullahs made a joke that in Farsi OO-Bah-Mah
means "He is with us"  They like Obama and some were convinced that he is a
Muslim.  There is an English language television station called Press TV
which is their equivalent of Fox News and it broadcasts very anti-Israel
programs all day and night!  They are convinced that Israel wants to
completely take over the Middle East.  All of the prayer calls end with
"Death to America, Death to Israel" but the people will tell you that is
only politics and they don't mean it.

Tina

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 1:51 PM, John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Tina ............ were you permitted to wander around Tehran and other
> places you visited in Iran along with your camera unaccompanied by any
> government minders or similar subject only to following cultural
> expectations [wearing a head scarf perhaps], respecting peoples' personal
> spaces and not opining on political issues ?
>
> jh
>

> On 4/27/2016 11:48 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
>
>> PESO:
>>
>> The Holy Defense Museum, also known as the War Museum, has creepily real
>> looking wax statues of the martyrs in the Iran-Iraq War:
>>

>> http://tinamanley.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Iran/G0000YmlbTddL96g/I0000z1adFOiv50E
>>
>> and next 3.
>>
>> There were "No Photography" signs everywhere but my guide got permission
>> for me to photograph anything and everything!
>>
>> Tina
>>

>> --

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com