Re: [OM] 2016 - Few Fotos For Fun

Subject: Re: [OM] 2016 - Few Fotos For Fun
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 07:52:19 -0400
But what have you gained? The grid is still dependent on conventional power stations operating in inefficient standby mode to compensate for the wind and solar systems that can not and never will produce power on demand.

Offshore wind has a capital cost about 50% greater than nuclear and operational and maintenance cost that is about double. <http://www.eia.gov/forecasts/aeo/electricity_generation.cfm> And that doesn't count the cost of the backup power stations which have to have equal power capacity and still have to operate about 2/3 of the time.

Wind and solar would make more sense if there were such things as giant batteries but there are no such (affordable) things today nor on anyone's technology horizon. <http://spectrum.ieee.org/at-work/innovation/the-search-for-a-better-battery> The lithium-ion battery was the last major breakthrough in battery technology and, apart from minor engineering improvements, there has been nothing new in 25 years.

Chuck Norcutt