[OM] Thanks to Moose for hand-held focus stacking

Subject: [OM] Thanks to Moose for hand-held focus stacking
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 18:39:59 -0400
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Blender Moose writes:

<<Ah, here you differed. Did you edit each in ACR first? I just loaded them
with defaults, then edited the blended result in PS, so noticed nothing awry.
If you did pre-edit them, is it possible that the script approach somehow fell
<<back to defaults? Next time, you could edit and load each into PS first, make
sure they look the way you want, stack by copying, then Auto Blend, just to
check. Or invoke ACR within PS as a filter to adjust the sliders you are <<used
to. Filter=>Camera Raw Filter or Shift-Ctrl-A

<<I didn't notice any appearance change from the actual process, other than
fixed
<<brightness where I missed it. :-)

    This particular image has somehow picked up distortion in the vertical bars
in the background that is not seen in any of the originals. I tried dropping an
image I thought might be complicit in the distortion (the one most out of
<<alignment with the others) but that didn't help anything.

<<I haven't run into anything like that, but also haven't had such strong,
relatively in-focus lines. Might be fairly easy to paint the masks from the
blending to get that area from only one shot?

Hmm, I have become very rusty in blend mode and no longer remember how to use
one image to alter the blend--I could still do it later with the stacked image
and aligned single image of choice.  CS6 also did not allow ACR as a filter--I
think that was an early new feature of CC.  Zerene stacker is especially
flexible at  at retouching--one can even use a stacked result image by a
different stacking algorithm as a source image for retouching as well as any
single image used to stack of course.  I usually use bridge to sync the raw
files and export jpg or tiffs to stacking software---then port the partially
retouched stacked image back to PS for a few tweaks..  Some stacks just don't
work well no matter what.

http://zerenesystems.com/cms/stacker/docs/videotutorials/retouching001/index

Must say I have seen many expertly crafted hand held stacks using PS alone.

Stacking 'em, Mike