C-U Lenses [was Color... At last!]

Subject: C-U Lenses [was Color... At last!]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 21:03:25 -0700
. . .
I recall John Shaw only uses 500D--he had some mag covers, book cover images as
well as other published images using it  so plenty of quality is possible with
good technique.
Stopping down a fair amount is typically necessary to avoid aberrations----I
recall the bokeh is generally  quite good in very many combinations.  Not sure
why that might be.

I had occasion today to look at "Closeups in Nature". All the references there to C-U lenses are to the Nikon 3T, 4T, 5T & 6T. Which may be why I have 5T & 6T. :-)

I didn't see any specific references to C-U lens models in "Focus on Nature" or "The Nature Photographer's Complete Guide to Professional Field Techniques", either. There is "John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide", which is more recent, and which I don't have. Perhaps he talks about the 500D there?

I'm interested in the possibilities of closer focus for the Panny 100-400, which has a 72 mm filter thread. Step-up from the 62 mm of the Nikons seems impractical - and an idle check of KEH revealed an EX+ 72 mm 500D . . .

Canon recommends it for 70-300 mm lenses. John Shaw is leery of C-U lenses from 300 mm up, but I wonder how much of that is based on experience. Ernst Vikne reports using it on his EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon lens, and says it's close to 1:1 @ 400 mm. <http://www.eos-magazine.com/EOS%20Collection/shop/Resources/A383%20%20Close%20focus%20%28CU%29.pdf>

I'm not sanguine about hanging the 100-400 on my inexpensive auto extension tubes. Would be fine with the lens tripod mounted, but I'm that hand held guy. Which is also why I'm not looking forward to juggling the big lens and extension tube(s) in the field.

Time Will Tell Moose

I see JS has a relatively recent book---John Shaw's Guide to Digital Nature
Photography.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0770434983/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

Seems nicely updated but from a quick look of sample pages though think I like
his first book's  full explanation of the basics.  Doubt he explains manual
macro fill flash as well  ;-)

He seems to use a fair amount of fill flash even with boyds at a distance.
Anyone buy it and/or have an opinion?

Mike