[OM] OT: OOOPS!!

Subject: [OM] OT: OOOPS!!
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 19:19:31 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     We have a number of sensational crimes around here, one of which was the
freeway shootings of last year.  There were eleven incidents, and four of them
were traced to a certain type of handgun.  Thanks to the legal requirement that
pawn shops submit records of pawned weapons, our Department of Public Safety
(DPS) came across one that was the type they were looking for.  A ballistics
test showed that it was very likely the weapon used.  So, they swooped down and
arrested the fellow who pawned it.

     Just one problem: He had pawned it a few weeks before the shootings, and
the pawn records showed that.  That little detail did not deter DPS one bit,
and the fellow has been lingering in prison since September, with the initial
trial set for next month.

     He was released today, but with a tracking ankle collar.  Seems that
additional ballistics tests were made in preparation for the trial, and a
number of discrepancies were found.  The judge reduced the cash bail from
US$1,000,000 to zero.

     The suspect had earlier filed suit against the state for US$10,000,000.  I
have a feeling that it will be settled out of court.

     I wonder if the fact that he pawned the weapon weeks prior to the
shootings is a factor?

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson