Re: [OM] [OT] Sandisk MicroSD memory cards - became A Kilobyte

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Sandisk MicroSD memory cards - became A Kilobyte
From: Larry Griffin via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2016 08:44:26 -0700
Cc: Larry Griffin <l_g_griffin@xxxxxxxxx>
Hi Brian, the 2^1000 was copied from the article I posted the link to. I'm not sure what the ^ caret is suppose to represent it is not what I would usually consider to the 'Power' of. Binary math is the answer as to why 1000=1024 beyond that was an I don't care. As to your question on I believe Extended Memory Service aka EMS memory. EMS memory was The 16 bit microprocessor could only address a binary one megabyte. I'm not sure if it was IBM that devised the memory map or Microsoft. The memory map divides 1 meg into sections the first that we know as motherboard/system memory 640k. The additional 384k was divided up on the 8bit BUS. I don't remember all the sections, but there was 128k section to which memory could be paged in and out. This Memory map was used by the IBM AT also which was a true 16 bit computer with a 16 bit BUS, but 80286 had a Lobotomy problem. This all went away with the Intel 80386, 32 bit microprocessor, and I forget the memory limit, and could switch between 'Real' and 'Protected' without a reboot. From 80386 IBM AT computer on is today’s computer are some some additional BUSs . The only limit to memory is the processor and motherboard manufacture/designer. To say that the microprocessor directly addresses the memory is a misnomer. The is a Direct Memory Access (DMA) chip that does the routine of addressing memory. Some motherboard diagnostics would check the DMA chips on the MB.