Re: [OM] Swollen Li-ion batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] Swollen Li-ion batteries
From: Larry Griffin via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 10:14:08 -0700
Cc: Larry Griffin <l_g_griffin@xxxxxxxxx>
Battery Technology is getting interesting. There is at least one company, Oak Ridge Global Energy, OGES, making Lithium batteries for automobile use, I visited their web site. They are touting that their thin film construction will allow them to build about any battery, camera, flashlight,(?),. The advertised feature for their motorcycle batteries is you can ride your bike ounce a year and it will start every time. I'd be happy if my flash light would do than. They arn't flashing their battery prices, so I went to JEGS automotive think $1k-1.5k for an auto battery. Their sales at several shindigs PGA & Motorcycles, has been phenomenal. I can see it for a Golf cart with 10-15 year life cycle. Considering fires think of quicker. The voltage limiting factor to Lithium batteries seems to be the Anode and Cathode, their is company working on a Polymer replacement.

btw I've had a few hotspot batteries swell up and split the hotspot case. I've always attributed it to being on 24/7.

The Lurker is waiting for smoke.