Re: [OM] Swollen Li-ion batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] Swollen Li-ion batteries
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 10:31:05 -0400
Right you are.  They went straight to the toxic trash pile.

Chuck Norcutt

On 4/6/2016 9:26 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
      Don't put the swollen ones on the charger.  They could be used as
charcoal starters.  :{O

In my response to Rick's question about the C5050 card door switch I
mentioned that I couldn't test my Samsung P&S because none of the 3
batteries were charged.  That didn't surprise me because it's been a
very long time since I've used the camera.

What did surprise me is that I had a hard time removing the battery that
was in the camera.  Turns out the battery was not only dead but had
swollen in the center.  It's about 10mm thick and has swollen by about
1-2mm in the center.  The battery slides into the camera such that it's
fairly tightly enclosed.  The swelling was enough that it was now a
tight fit and the spring that normally pushed it up so you can grip it
was not up to the task.  I had to remove it with a tool.  Fortunately,
the battery had not burst or leaked.

I have three batteries.  One is the original Samsung and the other 2 are
cheap ebay things.  It was one of the ebay batteries that was stuck in
the camera.  Checking the other one in its plastic storage bag showed it
too had swollen.  The Samsung brand battery was discharged but looked
normal and is now on the charger.

I mention this because I have several other cheap ebay batteries for the
other cameras.  The E-M1 batteries get a fair amount of usage and
rotation.  But the Canon batteries hardly get used any more.  I think
it's time to put them on the charger and check them out.

You might want to do the same.

Chris

      - Hunter S. Thompson