Re: My Version of Curves Application

Subject: Re: My Version of Curves Application
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 14:45:05 -0500
Thanks, Moose, for your research.  I will follow up on those tools in PWP.

And thanks for the kind words on my curves effort.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

On 3/25/2016 2:22 PM, Moose wrote:
On 3/25/2016 9:20 AM, Jim Nichols wrote:
Hi Moose,

I use Picture Window Pro, not an Adobe product, and it doesn't contain the LCE and Curves functions as you know them.

Neither of these is unique to Adobe. I have seen, and sometimes used, Curves functions in may image editing programs. I find it hard to imagine that PWP doesn't have some way to change the curve.

----Curves

Ah yes, the call it "Brightness Curve transformation", pages 95ff in the manual. Appears to work like the one in PS and other editors.

---- LCE
LCE is not a function/tool in PS in the way you imply. Similar sorts of effects are available as sliders in most editors, unfortunately under various names. It's called Clarity in LR and ACR/PS, although it's not apparently exactly the same as USM.

I learned it the old fashioned way, as settings for USM (Unsharp Mask). PWP has this as Sharpen Transformation, pages 195ff in the Manual. I use Amount 20, Radius 50, Threshold zero as my standard, but vary Amount to my taste.

Other settings of USM do indeed sharpen. These settings increase local/small area contrast. I have it canned in an Action(Macro) in PS.

I did find that Nik Color Efex Pro 4 has a Curves function, which I used for the first time to try to get close to your results. It worked well enough that I have updated the image in my LUG gallery. Here is the link:

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Cross+Pen.TIFF.html

Nicely done. I'd have a hard time choosing between this and what I did. Slightly different, but both good.

Thanks for expanding my horizons.

You are very welcome. Perhaps the above may take you further. :-) PWP has very extensive tools and controls. If it did masks directly, instead of the weird (to me), complicated way they do "Compositing", I might be using it.

Moose