Re: [OM] Two yellow daisy studies

Subject: Re: [OM] Two yellow daisy studies
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 13:35:04 -0700
On 3/21/2016 7:57 AM, bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
With the DZ 50/2, f/5.6 is distinctly sharper than f/22, or so it seems.
Hand-held.

That will always be true for a 4/3 sensor. What about the three stops in
between those two?

On 3/23/2016 9:48 AM, Jim Nichols wrote:
After clicking "send", I looked again at the lens.  This was actually taken at
f/16.

On 3/23/2016 11:45 AM, Jim Nichols wrote:
>> I pulled out my tripod to enable one more experiment with the Leica-R 60mm
Macro.  This is one link from a costume bracelet. The lesson learned is that
3-dimentional objects are difficult to get in focus, even at f/22.

"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept."  – Henri Cartier Bresson

Unless you agree with HC-B, you must eschew f22 for 4/3; diffraction effects
are simply too great.

IF you need lots of DoF, AND you have and know how to use a deconvolution "sharpening" tool, BOTH pre and post downsampling, AND you plan to display on the web or in modest size prints, f16 may give good results.

f11 is often the most useful balance point between DoF and sharpness for deep subjects. A good deconvolution tool is still pretty important.

f8 is as far as it is safe to go for most 4/3 uses, absent post processing
tools and skill.

Relatively deep DoF is no fix for poor placement of the plane of focus.

How do I know all this? I've made all the mistakes, many, many times, and have
seen the difference.

Focus stacking IS a solution for deep, 3D subjects, but is a pain unless the camera does it for you. The Oly E-M1, E-M5 II and TG-3 & 4 will do it for you, with some variations. And you need software to do the stacking for you in most cases.

Depth of Moose