Re: [OM] IMG: Macro Set Reunited

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Macro Set Reunited
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 19:24:25 -0500
Mike, to me, a teleconverter implies lenses in the unit. This Leica gadget is designed especially to allow 1:1 reproduction with the 60mm Elmarit-R macro lens on the old Leica R8 SLR. With that camera, which I don't own, it allows the 3-CAM lens to keep its functionality with the extender installed. It is really just an over-engineered extension tube, but, for me, it extends the focus range of a favorite lens.

I have a 2X TC for the old Leica-R lenses, but I normally only use it with a 250mm lens. And, you are correct, the aspheric lenses and TCs are a whole different ball game, in resolution as well as price.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

I always thought "extender" Is another name for TC--you have a nice extension
tube, No?
Enjoy and use it well whatever it is.  Perhaps Leica has its own nomenclature.
I think I use ext tubes much more often than TC's for macro.

  It seems with all these aspheric elements in use
with new lenses, general use TC's days may be numbered with matched optics TC's
only.

Mike