[OM] Large flying machine

Subject: [OM] Large flying machine
From: ChrisB <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 11:47:25 +0000
I attended a conference on aviation medicine this week, held at Ramstein AB – a
large transport hub in the Rheinland Pfalz region of Germany.

I presented on training for spatial disorientation recognition and avoidance in
pilots, but hung around for quite a bit of the medical stuff.  It was more
interesting than I had anticipated, although I needed to check my dictionary
quite frequently: who would have known, for instance, that “pre-morbidic” meant
“not yet diseased”?  I think that military doctors make some of it up . . .

Anyway, one of the highlights was a visit to a transport isolation system
installed on a C17; this was designed after the Ebola outbreak when there were
fears that some Americans might need evacuation after contact with such a
serious disease.  The aircraft apron was almost deserted (by USAF standards)
but there were more aircraft on that apron than the UK has in total – we don’t
have any C5s . . .

There are 4 photos:

<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=19796>

Chris