Re: [OM] Olympus to pay $646M over kickbacks and bribes to doctors, hosp

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus to pay $646M over kickbacks and bribes to doctors, hospitals - The Morning Call
From: Dean Hansen <hanse112@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 08:13:22 -0500
Tim Hughes posted:  "...Scope vendors like Olympus make money selling
washing equipment and fluids to disinfect endoscopes...."
Having been on the receiving end of cystoscopic exams of my bladder with an
Olympus cystoscope about 20 times, I've occasionally wondered if the good
doctor using the thing can guarantee absolute disinfecting of the
instrument following its use on someone with, say, an STD or, worse, HIV
infection.  So far, so good--I'll trust him.  Unlike an endoscope, where
the image is visible to the patient and doctor on a monitor, the OM
cystoscope has what is essentially like a microscope eyepiece for the
doctor to look through.  During one exam, I surprised my urologist and
asked if I could take a peek through the instrument.  "Certainly," he
replied.  He said that he'd never had a single patient ask that.  Sorry, no
pictures taken, but it's quite an interesting and, in a sense, pretty,
view--the inside wall of ones bladder is nearly white with an easily
visible network of red capillaries.  Yeh, kinda pretty, actually.  Damn,
wish I'd gotten a picture to put on Facebook.  Next time, perhaps.
Dean