Re: [OM] New Panny lens

Subject: Re: [OM] New Panny lens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 14:47:10 -0800
AG writes:

<<<Here's hoping for legacy OM with FF.

Simple Pleasures Moose replies:

<<<Doesn't that already exist, with adapters to Canon and Sony mounts? Is there
a smart adapter yet, that will read the camera signal and stop the lens down? That's all
you need.

Canikon/Oly all have relatively recent patents for FF mirrorless, but don't
hold your breath.  I doubt you will see much better than Techartpro AF on Sonny
any time soon.

I was taking AG literally, "legacy OM with FF", which means no AF, the only automation being AE and auto aperture - and a digital sensor. Seems to me that already exists, except for auto aperture, on Canon and Sony FF bodies

Curiously they claim 5 axis IS which requires the adapter report subject
distance to the cam--mighty difficult engineering. ...    I strongly suspect 3
axis stabilization only for OM lenses with all the caveats of stacked adapters.

Sticking with AG's expressed hope, not your projection onto it - ;-) - three
axis IS is already a big bonus.

The step up from no IS to 3-axis is WAY bigger than that from 3 to 5-axis. And it ain't just the number of axes, it's the quality of the implementation. I did a lot of side by side shooting with E-M5, 5-axis, and GX7, 3-axis, and mixed up which had the long lens and which the macro. I was never sure of a real difference in effectiveness.

At one time, I was convinced that the GX7 was better at 300 mm. Careful checking showed that what I'd seen was v. slight differences in focal plane placement and the inherent shallow DoF of 600 mm eq. viewed at 100%. Neither was obviously right or wrong, on a highly detailed 3D subject deeper than the DoF, just a few mm different.

Another example of how the simple spec. of number of axes doesn't mean everything. 5-axis on the E-M5 II is significantly better than that on the Mark I, and thus, I imagine, the E-M1. If one shoots mostly the 12-40, probably doesn't make much difference. At 300 mm, big difference.

Sticking to Basics Moose