Re: [OM] Gravitationals waves--yes they do exist and so do, Black holes

Subject: Re: [OM] Gravitationals waves--yes they do exist and so do, Black holes
From: Lawrence Plummer <plummerl@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 16:42:57 -0800
Moose, since the 60's (at least), the Fortran arithmetic operator has been **.
I'm trying to remember if the keypunch even had a caret!

larry

On 2/14/ 2016 13:03 AM, Moose wrote:

I know absolutely nothing about all this. It does strike, me, as a matter of
simple physics, that interference patterns  may reveal things smaller than the
wavelengths of the interfering waves - I think. :-)
Why are you folks using the double asterisk, 10**-20, instead of the caret,
10^-20 as power notation? The caret is what  spreadsheets use, and thus what
I've used for the several decades. I can't recall the notation for the
mainframe  calculating programs I used before that. Before that, it was slide
rules ... Speculative and Curious Moose