Re: [OM] British Television Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] British Television Photography
From: Lawrence Woods <lmwoods@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 11:49:10 -0500
The early pre- Emma Peel Avengers (also, famously, early Dr Who series) were "filmed" on monochrome video cameras, so PAL vs NTSC has nothing to do with it. Furthermore, monochrome video in England was a unique 405-line system used only in England and a few of the Commonwealth countries. That was a lower resolution than US monochrome TV, and a barrier to exporting TV programming. In fact, the decision to start using film for the Avengers apparently developed partially from the opportunity to sell the programs abroad, partially from the opportunity to expand story lines by shooting on location in the British countryside.

My guess is that a reference to using two cameras for the video recording might be an early version of the 3-camera technique currently used for soap operas, sitcoms, and "live" TV shows.

I have no idea what Chris perceived of as "an enhanced aspect of depth" but I had perhaps a similar perception a couple years ago when I saw some episodes of "The Man From Uncle" (from the late 60's) on TV. I found the sharpness and clarity of the images (on a non-HD TV set) amazing.