Re: [OM] Apple secret sauce, was: Computer Suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] Apple secret sauce, was: Computer Suggestions
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 12:48:37 -0800
On 2/1/2016 11:36 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
Jez appears to have the truth... I think Apple has some secret sauce.

I got a couple of USB 3.0 female-female couplers today which allows me to join the Apple Lightning/USB charging cable to either a USB flash drive or to the E-M1 camera body. Sorry, no action there. My iPhone 6s (my only Apple device) is totally unaware that any other device is hanging on the end of the cable.

Of course, it could be that the charging cable is just that and nothing else. There may be no signal lines in there at all.

Nope, all lines are in all cables I've ever seen. Some aren't fully compatible (a whole subset of arcane knowledge), but the phone gives a message saying so. Are you working straight through in USB only? You must have an Apple adapter (or clone?) in the stream. The Camera adapter has a female USB socket on the end. The SD card adapter has an SD socket on the end. "After you connect the Lightning to USB [or SD] Camera Adapter, your iPad or iPhone automatically opens the Photos app, which lets you choose which photos and videos to import, then organizes them into albums."

The whole thing is really organized around JPEGs. They say it will work with Raw files, but don't say which ones, or how they are to be used on the phone. And Raw files would soon fill up the phone. Unless, of course, I then transfer them to some external storage. But wait a minute, the adapters are one way only. I can only do that with a third party solution.

And remember, whatever workaround with a cable anyone has figured out, there is a great likelihood that the next OS update will kill it.

I haven't given up. There are some cheap ebay items (actually, about 2500 ads) that say they have the genuine Apple magic sauce for photos. I'll give them a try.

Have you thought through what use this will be? That's what killed my interest in the whole business. IF I want to immediately upload some JPEGs to my phone AND I'm shooting Raw plus JPEG, which I usually am not, it could be useful. IF, and I think it may be a big one, it will upload ORF (and for me, RW2) Raw files to the Cloud, AND you have WiFi or a good data plan ... doesn't apply for me just when I'm taking the most shots and want back-up.

This is a far more capable and useful device, but for the file copy app limitation I've mentioned before. <http://www.ravpower.com/ravpower-rp-wd01-filehub-3000mah-power-bank.html>

You can connect external drives and SD cards both at once, view/play files from either/both, copy directly between them and select and upload image and video files to the phone.

Let us know if you work out something useful.

No Held Breath Moose