Re: [OM] [OT] Cell Phone Question

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Cell Phone Question
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 11:22:40 -0600
>   Recently a question came up on another forum to which I belong. The
> question came from a budding science fiction writer: if I were to time
> travel from 2016 to 2001, would my brand new smartphone work on the system
> in 2001? I know there are some here who work in the system so I'm hoping
> for an intelligent answer.

It depends on the carrier and it depends on the cellphone. So, yes,
but you would have to be selective in picking your devices and
networks to use in the story. Likewise, there are some cellphones from
2001 that will work on some of our networks today. If it's AT&T, the
answer is going to be no. They did a network replacement a while back
which shutdown the legacy support. T-Mobile and Sprint support legacy
phones better than just about anybody and they both wholesale access
for the burner phones in Walmart.

AG Schnozz