Re: [OM] [OT] Cell Phone Question

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Cell Phone Question
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 11:18:00 -0600
On 1/28/16 11:09 : , Charles Geilfuss wrote:
   Recently a question came up on another forum to which I belong. The
question came from a budding science fiction writer: if I were to time
travel from 2016 to 2001, would my brand new smartphone work on the system
in 2001? I know there are some here who work in the system so I'm hoping
for an intelligent answer.

Charlie
I'm going to say maybe from my understanding. 2001 was very early in the 3G development so it would depend a lot on if your current phone will downshift to 3G, and if the area traveled back to had 3G deployed. I don't think a modern smartphone would connect to a pre-3G or EDGE network. And if you happened to be in an area that was pre-data, I would say no.

If someone who is smarter than I is about this would like to prove me wrong, go right ahead.

--

Paul Braun WD9GCO
Certified Music Junkie