[OM] Audio and Moose recommendations was Re: it's been a long time

Subject: [OM] Audio and Moose recommendations was Re: it's been a long time
From: SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 09:25:49 +0100
Back in the day when CD's had just started becoming mainstream, I had lots of discussion with another audiophile about the merits, then we pitched my Marantz CD 52 SE against his not very top but certainly in the top 10 percent quality wise linn turntable, IIRC the arm alone on his deck cost more than my CD player , never mind the needle cartridge The conclusion was the LP on the Linn has a slightly warmer sound (not better) and he promptly switched to CD's afterwards.

Recently I have been looking at improving the sound mainly from the TV so I searched the attic and reinstalled my old arcam AV amp and CD player (now with broken load tray motor - kids) and took a very scratched CD (Kids!) with get here by Oleta Adams on and listened again fearing that now my ears are so much older it would be a waste. It sounded fantastic with a clarity that like good beer I have not experienced for quite some time. I then tried the CD in the blueray player I bought to stream netflix etc.. attached via a audioengine D1 dac to the amp and could really hear what was missing - if you get my drift.

This then started me on an ongoing search for sound quality that matches the CD 52 SE but in a file (that can't be scratched by Kids :-) ) and at a reasonable price

BTW thanks Moose for the Roberta Flack recommendation, just listened to it now and feeling chilled, I also should mention I bought an emmi-dent brush when you recommended it and although the toothpaste is expensive it works brilliantly, I always used to have a problem with plaque between two slightly crooked teeth but since using the emmi-dent its no longer an issue.

Cheers IanW

Richard Lovison wrote:
Still not convinced. :)