Re: [OM] IMG: Maria with Backstrap Loom

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Maria with Backstrap Loom
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 18:18:50 -0500
Thanks, Moose.  I need all of the luck I can get!!

I wish I were a better editor.

Tina

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 6:15 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 1/22/2016 12:00 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
>
>> PESO:
>>
>> I need help with this one:
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/162390170/original
>>

> As the scan stands, you've done a pretty good job on an impossible image.
> I played, and got something different, but not really better.
>
> It's a Kodachrome taken in extremely harsh light.  I've done the best I can
>> with shadows and highlights but would appreciate any additional
>> suggestions
>> for handling the extreme contrast.  The shadows sometimes have a yellowish
>> halo around them (hair bun and back of neck) that I don't know how to get
>> rid of.
>>

> With this one, you've also got way too red a face, reflections from the
> red threads.
>
> I really don't see where one can do much with such an image without
> masking and working on different parts differently. With overall
> adjustments, what improves one area makes trouble elsewhere.
>
> AG just posted about recovering shadow detail in scanning slide film.
> Perhaps, as a fellow Nikon scanner user, he may have some ideas for
> improving what comes out of the scanner.
>
> I'm working on a project of the widows in this one village and would like
>> to include photos of them working and in their very dark houses.  Some
>> very
>> difficult scans on Kodachrome. I have hundreds to work on!!
>>

> These KR64s in the dark have grain that makes skin look dirty. Yet if you
> clean that up, the true nature of many of them is revealed; what appeared
> sharp from sharp grain, in fact, has little actual image detail. A
> consequence of wide apertures and 3D subjects is soft images where one
> might wish for more sharpness.
>
> So it's possible to make many such images have smooth skin and other
> colors, but they don't look as sharp and detailed as you've thought.
>
> The effect may be limited to skin and where it's needed, but with hundreds
> to do, that's pretty time consuming.
>
> Photography has always been about compromises.
>
> These Central American series are full of wonderful images, much of your
> finest work of what I've seen. But they have a lot of technical issues that
> are difficult to improve. Good luck!
>
> Moose in the Dark
>
> --
> --

Tina Manley
http://
<http://t.sidekickopen35.com/e1t/c/5/f18dQhb0S7lC8dDMPbW2n0x6l2B9nMJN7t5XYgfmKYPW4WzBHl3Mx_9dW3LqWkM56dQ1Jf7P8b5b02?t=http%3A%2F%2Ftina-manley.artistwebsites.com%2F&si=6038418186567680&pi=ab725c38-336f-47c7-829e-59309165bea9>
www.tinamanley.com
http://tina-manley.artistwebsites.com/