Re: [OM] IMG: Maria with Backstrap Loom

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Maria with Backstrap Loom
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 15:15:12 -0800
On 1/22/2016 12:00 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
PESO:

I need help with this one:

http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/162390170/original

As the scan stands, you've done a pretty good job on an impossible image. I played, and got something different, but not really better.

It's a Kodachrome taken in extremely harsh light.  I've done the best I can
with shadows and highlights but would appreciate any additional suggestions
for handling the extreme contrast.  The shadows sometimes have a yellowish
halo around them (hair bun and back of neck) that I don't know how to get
rid of.

With this one, you've also got way too red a face, reflections from the red
threads.

I really don't see where one can do much with such an image without masking and working on different parts differently. With overall adjustments, what improves one area makes trouble elsewhere.

AG just posted about recovering shadow detail in scanning slide film. Perhaps, as a fellow Nikon scanner user, he may have some ideas for improving what comes out of the scanner.

I'm working on a project of the widows in this one village and would like
to include photos of them working and in their very dark houses.  Some very
difficult scans on Kodachrome. I have hundreds to work on!!

These KR64s in the dark have grain that makes skin look dirty. Yet if you clean that up, the true nature of many of them is revealed; what appeared sharp from sharp grain, in fact, has little actual image detail. A consequence of wide apertures and 3D subjects is soft images where one might wish for more sharpness.

So it's possible to make many such images have smooth skin and other colors, but they don't look as sharp and detailed as you've thought.

The effect may be limited to skin and where it's needed, but with hundreds to
do, that's pretty time consuming.

Photography has always been about compromises.

These Central American series are full of wonderful images, much of your finest work of what I've seen. But they have a lot of technical issues that are difficult to improve. Good luck!

Moose in the Dark