[OM] Don't EVER underexpose Velvia - Unless

Subject: [OM] Don't EVER underexpose Velvia - Unless
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 14:45:21 -0600
So, in the 10 rolls of slide film was one roll of Velvia 100F which
had a half-dozen images were were accidently underexposed by two
stops. I had accidentally left the ISO set to 400 before slapping my
self with a wet cable release.

Total tossers? Yes, but only because the pictures were otherwise
pretty marginal AND I have several PROPERLY exposed ones. Yet, I did
go ahead and see what could be done.

I did a test scan with Vuescan and it actually did pretty well in
recovering stuff lurking in the shadows, but the gamma is so far out
of whack that it wasn't worth my time and energy to even do much more
testing.

In Nikonscan, I turned ICE4 on full-tilt and had it do the DEE shadow
recovery. I set it to 75 and stood way back. After what seemed like a
year or two, it finished scanning those six frames and at a glance,
the pictures are actually remarkably good. Unfortunately, the noise is
through the roof and looks like an E-1 shot at ISO 3200.

It really surprised me because those slides are DENSE. I was expecting
to find nothing but mush. But I can actually do something with these
images if I really want to. That is reassuring to know.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx