[OM] OT: Ancient Computers

Subject: [OM] OT: Ancient Computers
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 14:08:02 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     No, I'm not going to bring up WinXP, Win98, or Win95.

     I'm watching the 1951 science fiction movie "When Worlds Collide" which
won the 1951 Academy Award for special effects.  This movie is well filmed and
acted, and there are lots of visual treats, such as a 6-place Bellanca and a
2-place helicopter which has the control yoke attached to the roof of the cabin
instead of the floor.  Never did figure out what the make and model is.

     Early in the movie you're treated to a view of a working "differential
analyzer", a mechanical computer which was first described in 1876 but not
realised until the early 20th century:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_analyser

http://museum.mit.edu/150/22

     These were even built by Meccano hobbyists with Meccano parts prior to
WWII, some used for serious research.  All of this was prior to the advent of
ENIAC.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson