Re: [OM] OT: Coffee Shop Hackers

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Coffee Shop Hackers
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2016 18:33:41 +0000
Wireshark is for packet inspection, not intrusion detection. Snort is a
very good intrusion detection tool, but I don't know if there is a Windows
version. If you're still using that ancient, extremely insecure XP machine,
I'd suggest you simply install a decent firewall, and then lock it down as
tightly as possible.

Or... you could run any newer version of Windows or any other OS that'll
fill the need for the software you find most critical. That way your
machine will no longer the trivially easy entry point for attacks on all
those around you in the coffee shop.

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 9:41 AM Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>      Hmmm...  WireShark might be useful.  I looked at their webpage, but
> perhaps you could tell me (or rather us) if it c an be set up to detect
> intrusions?
>

> >Yup. Coffee Shops are a prime target for hackers. Many of them do not
> >have client isolation enabled on the WiFi networks, so it becomes like
> >an unsecured home network. I can ping and poke at anybody else on the
> >network.
> >
> >I use a program called WireShark to keep an eye on the traffic
> >patterns and hacking attempts on my interface. I also run it at home
> >to keep an eye on hacker attempts there too. Since mid-December, I've
> >seen another whole set of attempts that are exploiting weaknesses in
> >the ISP provided DSL Modem/Hotspot. But, for my home shared network,
> >I've got that behind another, additional firewall and hidden network.
> >
> >I've got all sorts of "tools" that let me see other devices on a
> >network and watch the traffic. Scary stuff, that.
> >

> Chris
>
> When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
>      - Hunter S. Thompson
> --
>
> --
---