Re: [OM] New lens

Subject: Re: [OM] New lens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 16:57:27 -0800
On 1/6/2016 4:09 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
Me too. At 300mm f/6.7 it's only 4 clicks on the ISO dial away from F/4. :-)

That's at 400 mm. It will be at least a little faster @ 300 mm. Ah, Daniel Cox says f5.6 @ 300 mm, dropping to f6.3 immediately thereafter. <http://naturalexposures.com/leica-lumix-100-400mm/>

So, only three clicks, if they are 1/3 stop clicks.

It can also fit in an ample jacket pocket, weighs only 12.5 ounces and only
needs a 58mm filter.

KEH is selling the OMZ 300/4.5 (with tripod mount and caps) for from $133
(bargain grade) to $192 (excellent +)

I've had one of those, probably EX+, for years. A good lens, but not a great one, pretty much what Gary found in his tests. V. fine for the size/weight and price back when it came out. After my ancient blunderbuss of a 200/4 Nikkor whupped my svelte 200/4 and /5 Zuikos, I wonder if a similar trade-off of best possible performance for size and weight applies to the 300/4.5.

The new M.Z. 300/4 will wipe the floor with it for pure resolution. It would be fun to play with one, if only to try it in the HR mode. OTOH, I have the M.Z. 75/1.8, which is regarded as likely the sharpest µ4/3 lenses up til now, and I've never done anything like that with it. I bought it for the speed in low light, at which it excels, but that mostly involves high ISOs, show shutter speeds and moving subjects. So no resolution awards as yet, just a few shots I wouldn't otherwise have captured.

New Year's Resolution Moose