Re: [OM] Geo tag conundrum--stumped.

Subject: Re: [OM] Geo tag conundrum--stumped.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 22:19:29 -0800
There is something terribly askew with my procedure to geotag images.  Nothing
really exotic---80% are done with Igot-u  to tag small  jpeg then use geosetter
to tag the matched raw files.

I used to do it that way, but switched to exporting GPX files from the i-gotU app so I could store them with the images and use the same work flow for either source of GPS data.

About 10-20% of the images show up as not tagged in Smugmug and indeed
Photoshop can't see the GPS data either--only in those!! Arghh

  http://screencast.com/t/oevdOt1Nz

On same files, windows property tab show the coordinates fine as well as
geosetter.  Something is rotten in Denmark.  I vaguely recalled something
conflicting time stamp with GPS and camera time shot data as well as side car
file issues, but am not sure how to fix this.  Never thought there should be an
issue with jpegs.

Dood! You know diagnostics. ;-) Track from beginning to end of the process, looking for the data in both in-file EXIF and xmps. EXIFToolGUI is helpful, as it shows xmp data separately.

When I process Raw files in PS, then save PSDs and web size JPEGs, the geo data from the xmps of the Raw files ends up in the EXIF inside the PSDs and JPEGs, no more xmps at those stages.

I thought the Smugmug uploader of one flavor was the culprit--but that is
totally not the case.  One can use the dog by the construction site image  from
my last post for an example and the PS screen shot was from that image.
I could find nothing on the web until realized PS could not see the tags either.

At what stage? Does PS see it if you reopen the JPEGs it outputs to send to the web? If it's there in the Raw files, and any PSDs, but not in some output JPEGS, the problem is in PS - pretty unlikely, but you know what Sherlock says. ;-)

If it's there pre-upload, not there with the web image, then gone when downloaded, it has to be in the upload process. There's nothing that says web upload can't be inconsistent.

Try uploading the same PS output JPEGs to another web site.

Dia Gnostic Moose