[OM] Mac/Photoshop performance advice

Subject: [OM] Mac/Photoshop performance advice
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 08:56:14 -0500
Now that I've had to go help a few unfortunate owners of new Win10 machines or (worse) upgraders from Win7 I have vowed I'm never going to Win10. I am seriously thinking of turning myself into an Apple fanboy.

That, of course, requires running Photoshop on some sort of Mac configuration. I don't want a Mac laptop (yet) and don't need a big monitor (already have one) so I've been thinking of Mac minis. These can be configured from about $500-2,000. What do I need in the way of CPU, graphics processor and memory to get good Photoshop performance? I make extensive use of ACR to process 16MP E-M1/M5 images and need to consider that the E-M1 MkII will likely have the 40MP mode or maybe even larger. Of course, such large image sizes will not be the norm but probably do dictate 16GB RAM.

My current machine is an HP desktop with 8GB and an AMD A8 5500 quad-core at 3.2GHz with integrated graphics. Performance is similar to an Intel i3 3220 although the AMD's graphics performance is better. This has what I consider acceptable performance for 16MP images but hardly bowls me over. For some reason recent startup performance in Photoshop has become much slower. I've never timed it but it seems that it's not really ready to rock and roll until it's been up for 20-30 seconds. After that performance is normal.

I'd love to have something that's twice as fast or even 3 times as fast if that's possible.

Thanks,
Chuck Norcutt