Re: [OM] OT: Collector or Hoarder?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Collector or Hoarder?
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 13:49:21 -0800
How did we miss Smith Rock?
We have also driven by many times and haven't stopped until last Friday. Partly because it is a _very_ popular climber's destination and often way overcrowded. Apparently basic wilderness ethics and LNT have mostly bypassed the sport climber and adult beverage crowd. The crowds and the heat is the main reason we visit the area in the spring and fall. Even then it is crowded at SR. Not so when we were leaving Bend. It was shinning in a beam of sunlight from a break in the clouds and beckoned. And we were all in need of some exercise after mostly driving. Only met a few hardy souls also out getting some fresh air with their pooches.

A couple of crooks in the Crooked River. My wife's starving ancestors came down the Crooked River in wagons in 1845. Down the actual river bed east of Prineville where there was no other feasible option. Along this stretch of the river we believe they traveled up on the plains above the canyon to the north of Hwy26 which connects Prineville with Madras. There are 6 graves where they camped 24Sep1845 just north of Smith Rock State Pk.

<http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/SWtrip_Dec15/SmithRock_80656.JPG>
<http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/SWtrip_Dec15/SmithRock_80647.JPG>

Mike